Abu Dhabi’s Torrente, Al Mansoori ready for championship showdown as team-mates grab another second place in China
Team Abu Dhabi’s Shaun Torrente and Faleh Al Mansoori face a three-way title showdown in the UIM XCAT World Championship after Australians Tom Barry-Cotter and Ross Willaton completed back-to-back race victories in China today.
Reigning world champions Torrente and Al Mansoori in Abu Dhabi 4 must now aim to wipe out a three-point advantage held by the Dubai Police crew of Arif Al Zaffain and Nadir Bin Hendi, the new championship leaders ahead of the final round on their home territory next month.
With Barry-Cotter and Ross Willaton just three points further adrift in third place in Maritimo, the XCAT series is set for a dramatic climax in Dubai on 12-14 December.
Emirati drivers Rashed Al Tayer and Majed Al Mansoori in Abu Dhabi 5 rounded off an impressive run of performances in China by repeating their previous day’s second place finish to complete a hat-trick of podium finishes on Shanghai’s Dishui Lake.
While third place was enough to give Al Zaffain and Bin Hendi a narrow lead in the title race, Team Abu Dhabi’s Torrente and Al Mansoori will look to regain the initiative in Dubai after being plagued by mechanical problems from the start in Shanghai.
Shanghai Grand Prix Race 3 results
- Maritimo (AUS) Tom Barry-Cotter / Ross Willaton 32.55.78
- Abu Dhabi 5 (UAE) Rashed Al Tayer / Majed Al Mansoori 33.12.16
- Dubai Police (UAE) Arif Al Zaffain / Nadir Bin Hendi 33.20.48
- Abu Dhabi 4 (UAE) Shaun Torrente / Faleh Al Mansoori 33.39.36
- HPI Racing Team (IT) Rosario Schiano Di Cola / Guiseppe Schiano Di Cola 34.10.03
- 222 Offshore (IT/AUS) Giovanni Carpitella / Darren Nicholson 35.06.35
- Kuwait (KWT) Abdullatif Al Omani / Moustafa Al Dashti +1 lap
- Videx (IT) Alfredo Amato / Saul Bubacco + 1 lap
- New Star Racing (RU) Mikhail Kitashev / Dimitry Vandyshev + 1 lap
- De Mitri (IT) Roberto Lo Piano / Marco Di Cosmo + 1 lap
XCAT World Championship positions
- Dubai Police 143pts
- Abu Dhabi 4 140
- Maritimo 137
- Abu Dhabi 5 113
- 222 Offshore 71
- HPI Racing Team 60
- The Blue Roo 48
- New Star Racing 47
- Swecat Racing 44
- Kuwait 42