The arrival of a baby is indeed joyful and a unique moment for everyone. Parents start preparing everything during the nine months of pregnancy. Undoubtedly, from clothes, baby food to baby diapers and accessories, you need to have everything with you before the infant arrives.
However, no matter how much you prepare yourself mentally of how to survive the first week with a newborn. Things may end up in a mess if you do not have the proper guidance before-hand. This guide will provide you with some handy tips on how you can manage the first week with your newborn smoothly.
Find below how to survive the first week with a newborn
Do not hesitate to ask for help
It can be incredibly exhausting for mothers to manage the first week with a newborn. Therefore, you need to ask for help from relatives and friends to help you manage your usual responsibilities and the baby. Many pregnant women tend to live in the misconception that they will be strong enough to handle everything on their own.
However, this thought is invalid since it is indeed a challenging task to handle a baby on your own. Additionally, if mothers did a C-Section surgery, it is highly advisable to ask someone to stay with them for a few days. Eventually, your husband will help you out.
But, you need to consider that one person cannot handle a newborn and a wife who is in the recovery process from the C-Section. For example, if your husband is taking you to the toilet, there should be someone else to look after the baby.
Sleep when your baby is sleeping
Undoubtedly, when there is a newborn in the house, the sleeping pattern will fluctuate drastically. Especially, when the baby wakes after every three hours for you to feed him. Hence, it is incredibly crucial that you understand, you cannot sleep in your regular sleeping pattern. Instead, it is advisable to sleep whenever your baby is sleeping.
Stock on groceries
It is advisable to stock on everything you need before the arrival of the baby. Since it will become difficult for you to go shopping for the few upcoming days. From baby clothes, breast pumps to baby diapers, and fresh food, you need to stock everything.
Groceries and necessary items include below:
- Breast pump
- Nursing pillow
- Lotion for swollen nipples
- Baby diapers
- Ointment for baby
- Baby wipes
- Baby soap
- Baby towels
- Waterproof mattress cover
- Milk for the baby
- Nail clippers or scissors
- Fresh vegetables and fruits for you
Keep Essential Phone Numbers Handy
It is advisable to keep a diary where you can insert all essential phone numbers for emergencies. You can also save the numbers on your mobile phone.
Emergency numbers include:
- Baby pediatrician
- Urgent care numbers
- Close friends and relatives
Things to avoid when there is a newborn in the house
There are several things that newbie-parents need to avoid when there is a newborn in the house.
Things to avoid include:
- Not burping the baby properly
- Not feeding the baby on time
- Not cleaning the baby daily
- Mixing formula for baby’s milk
- Not ensuring average room-temperature for the baby
- Not washing hands before holding the baby
- Taking newborns to crowded places
- Using cotton swabs to clean the baby’s ear
- Inappropriate use of cushions, pillows, and teddy bears
- Giving excess medication to the baby
- Using sun-screen on a newborn baby can incredibly invite rashes and allergic reactions
- Leaving the baby alone with pets
- Giving honey to the baby before one year
- Playing too hard with them such as shaking or rocking the baby too much
- Comparing your baby with others
- Not letting your baby cry it out
- Panicking over everything
- Let the baby sleeping on their tummy
- Let anyone kissing your newborn can increase the risk of disease spreading in your baby’s fragile body
- Wrapping too much outfit
As you may deduce, it is indeed a challenging task to handle a newborn. Whether you are a couple or a single-mother you need to ensure many things are set adequately before the arrival of the baby. There are many do’s and don’t that you need to forget as a single mistake can have huge consequences on your baby’s health.
Additionally, the above tips will incredibly help you survive the first week with a newborn. Do not forget to cherish every moment with your newborn baby after having read all these details.Email This Post