Hair loss can be agitating for anybody, seeing how hair is prestigious to most of us. There are many factors causing someone to experience hair fall, including age. Alopecia areata is an auto-immune disease that is characterized by unpredictable hair loss.
Hair loss can be observed in small patches, and depending on the severity, one can lose multiple patches across the scalp. The condition can affect anyone of any age, though most cases are observed before the age of thirty.
To get the best alopecia areata treatment in Pune, dermatologists run a series of tests to determine what can be done. Although there is no cure or fixed treatment, there are multiple treatments that offer solutions.
How it is Diagnosed
To diagnose the disorder, a dermatologist would conduct routine examinations of the affected areas and also take a look at your nails. A thorough medical history and history of genetic conditions are also asked for.
There are a wide array of reasons that cause hair fall, therefore for accurate testing, different tests might be conducted to determine the cause.
Since the disease is auto-immune, blood tests might also diagnose any underlying immune system condition. If you have alopecia, your dermatologist will ask you questions on how you’d like to go about it and prescribe treatments.
If you’ve been diagnosed with alopecia areata for less than a year, a wait and see approach might be preferred. Your hair might regrow and heal on its own, negating the need for treatment. However, if the condition is persistent or becomes severe, after considering all the factors, your doctor will recommend treatment.
The factors include your age, your hair loss stage, the amount of hair loss, and the location of hair loss. With this condition, no one treatment works for everybody. You might have to inculcate a trial and test approach to find the best treatment for you. Treatments depend on how much hair loss you’re facing and the site of hair fall.
- Patchy hair loss:
- Topical Corticosteroids: corticosteroids can be applied to bald spots to promote hair regrowth. These are strong doses and are prescription drugs that can be used once or twice a day. Doctors recommend this to children suffering from this condition.
- Corticosteroid injections: Injections can also be used at the bald spots to help regrowth. These are given every four or eight weeks depending on your condition. It is one of the most effective treatments for people with a few patches of hair loss.
Studies show that it is extremely effective for patients with patchy hair loss, especially noticeable after 12 weeks.
- Minoxidil: This is an over the counter medication that is used to maintain the hair growth that was triggered by a different treatment. Topical ointments are useful for treating the scalp, beard, and eyebrow areas. Your doctor might recommend that you apply it twice or thrice a day.
- Rapid hair loss:
- Contact immunotherapy: Topical or contact immunotherapy is used to bring change in a patient’s immune system so it avoids attacking hair follicles. This is effective in treating widespread alopecia but is a long treatment.
You cannot miss appointments as it will cause your hair to fall again. A chemical is applied to your bald spots and left there for 48hours, during which you need to keep the skin covered. This treatment can last as long as six months, and more if it works well for you.
- Methotrexate: If you’re suffering extensive hair loss and haven’t found treatments that work for you, this might be a good option. This medication is great for complete hair regrowth and works faster than the other medication out there.
This substance causes side-effects, especially when prescribed with something to enhance the effect. None of them are life-threatening but always consult your doctor before using the medicine.
- Hair transplants: Hair transplants can also be used to treat and combat hair loss and female or male pattern baldness. This is one of the best forms of treatment but does not benefit everybody. If your dermatologist thinks you are a good candidate for a transplant, you can consider it for treating your condition.
Your dermatologist might also refer to treatments apart from the ones mentioned above. There are many treatments for this condition but no cure. Self-care and good hygiene and lifestyle can also help slow down the ill effects. Sometimes hair can grow back without treatment and other times extensive treatment is required.
You can get affordable, effective solutions for your condition. The best alopecia treatment in Pune is something only you can determine, but the experts at most facilities help you place a good treatment pretty early on. All you need to do is consult your dermatologist and let them figure the rest!
Email This Post