- Under the new vision, the company will focus on building sustainable technologies, clean energy systems and creating zero emission factories
Panasonic, a global technology leader, announced its new long-term environment vision called “Panasonic Environment Vision 2050” on World Environment Day. The new vision will guide the Panasonic Group to practice environmentally sustainable management toward 2050.
Panasonic Environment Vision 2050 aims to achieve “a better life” and “a sustainable global environment,”. Panasonic will create more and make better use of energy than it uses, aiming for a society with clean energy and a more comfortable living.
The new vision also reflects the company’s more diversified business, including consumer electronics, housing, automotive and B2B, which entails expanded environmental efforts toward a sustainable society while providing a better life for each individual customer under its slogan “A Better Life, A Better World.”
Many of Panasonic’s products consume energy such as electricity for the life of the product. Under the new environment vision, Panasonic will strive not only to reduce the amount of energy consumption of its products but also enhance its energy creation and storage businesses and reduce the impact on the global environment by contributing to increasing opportunities for utilising clean energy in various situations in society. Furthermore, Panasonic, as a global corporate citizen, aims to provide a benefit to the environment by creating more energy than it uses.
“World Environment Day reminds us to realign our thoughts and actions for the betterment of the society with good environment practices. In line with our business philosophy, our goal is to create a safe, smart, and sustainable society for the future. With the goals set in Green Plan 2018 already within reach, the new vision towards 2050, sets a clearer direction for environmental management. Panasonic will work on enhancing development of eco-conscious products, boost clean energy systems, and strive to create factories with zero CO2 emissions,” commented Mr. Anthony Peter, Director, Corporate Communications Division – Panasonic Marketing Middle East and Africa.
Ever since its founding in 1918, Panasonic has been implementing business activities based on its corporate philosophy of contributing to better lives of people around the world and to the development of the society through business activities. In striving toward this ideal, the environment has been one of the important elements defining the group’s activities. Panasonic is working in line with the current environmental action plan, Green Plan 2018 (GP2018) formulated in 2010, that was designed mainly to reduce CO2 emissions from production activities and product use.
The outline of the Panasonic Environment Vision 2050 is as follows:
Panasonic Environment Vision 2050
To achieve ‘a better life’ and ‘a sustainable global environment,’ Panasonic will create more and make better use of energy than it uses, aiming for a society with clean energy and a more comfortable living.
- Activities for achieving the vision
- Panasonic will create a safe and secure society with clean energy
- Provide eco-conscious and smart living space
‘Panasonic will realise a living space with electricity created by clean energy and batteries storing such electricity, without causing impacts on the global environment.’
- Energy creation: Next-generation solar cell technology, fuel cell technology, etc
- Energy storage: Next-generation storage battery technology, hydrogen storage technology, etc.
- Energy saving: Next-generation power device technology, thermal insulation and waste heat-related technology, etc.
- Energy management: Small-scale distributed power technology, smart house-related technology, etc.
- Contribute to eco-conscious and smart travel and transport
‘Panasonic will contribute to achieving smooth travel and transport through a storage battery system and IT solutions.’
- Next-generation storage battery technology for eco-cars, next-generation logistics- and transport-related technology, etc.
- Panasonic will promote businesses aiming for a sustainable society
- Promote effective utilisation of resources
‘Panasonic will aim for sustainable use of resources through the reuse of parts and materials and product recycling.’
Recycling technology, etc.
- Promote creation of factories with zero CO2emissions
‘Panasonic will utilise its own environmental technologies and products and reduce CO2emissions from its factories.’
- Shift to LED lightings (To be completed by the end of March 2019 for LED-ready locations)
- Install photovoltaic power generation systems (To be completed by the end of March 2021 for PV-ready locations)
- Smart manufacturing, energy-saving technologies, FEMS technology, etc.