Kerala’s leading media conglomerate Mathrubhumi bagged the Best International Publisher Award at 36th edition of Sharjah International book fair. The group became the first Indian media house to win this prestigious title ever so far.
The award by received by M V Shreyams Kumar, Jt Managing Director, Mathrubhumi Printing & Publishing Co Ltd from Sharjah ruler and supreme council member his Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qasimi at the inaugural session of SIBF.
Speaking on this occasion Mr. Shreyams said “It’s an honour to receive such a prestigious accolade at this time as mathrubhumi just marked its 94th birthday. It’s a great privilege that we have received the award from the ruler who has high regards and fondness for books. The award is a recipient of efforts and hard work put in by our team”.
His Highness honoured winners of SIBF’s Awards as follows:
- The Best Emirati Book by an Emirati Creative Writer Award went to Nadiya Al Najjar for her novel ‘The D Trilogy’.
- The Best Emirati Academic Book Award went to Dr. Maitha Majed Al Shamsi for her book ‘The Semiology of Sign in Contemporary Emirati Theatre’.
- The Best Emirati Book Award about the UAE went to Dr. Rashid Ahmed Al Mazrouei for his book ‘The Encyclopedia of Popular Proverbs’.
- The Best Arabic Novel Award went to author Abdullah Al Basees for his novel ‘Wolf Trap’.
- The Best International Fiction Book award went to Lauri Kubuitsile, for her novel ‘The Scattering’.
- The Best International Non-Fiction Book award went to Sophie Le Ray, Radhika Punshi and David B. Jones for their book ‘Game Changers’.
- The Best Local Publisher award went to Dar Molhimon from the UAE.
- The Best Arab Publisher award went to Dar Al Mada from Iraq.
- The Best International Publisher went to The Mathrubhumi Printing and Publishing Co. from India.
This year, the fair will host 393 guests from 48 countries, who will participate in more than 2,600 activities. The guest included a host of authors, academics, artists and journalists, who will not only showcase their most significant literacy and artistic products, but also address many important topics over 11 days.