DOCTORS SAVES BABY WITH LIFE THREATENING SECOND DEGREE BURNS CAUSED BY HOT TEA

  • Baby rushed to Zulekha Hospital in Sharjah with second degree burns to the face, neck and chest (17% burns) that triggered a seizure
  • Parents with young children across the UAE are reminded to be diligent around the house

An 18-month old baby girl was rushed to Zulekha Hospital in Sharjah to treat potentially fatal second degree burns to the face, neck and chest (17%). The incident occurred after the baby unintentionally tipped a jug of scolding hot tea on herself. Triggered by the burns, the girl went on to suffer a seizure and respiratory depression resulting in the baby needing to be intubated to save her life.

With few facilities able to take on the case, Dr. Shoukat Ali Memon – Specialist Pediatrician at Zulekha Hospital in Sharjah – who has 25 years of experience in the field of Pediatrics – was able to attend to the baby immediately using the hospital’s specialist equipment that ultimately saved her life. The baby’s parents will continue to bring the girl into the hospital for regular check-ups while she recovers and heels from the trauma.

“We are delighted at the baby’s incredible progress after being admitted in a life-threatening state following such a traumatic experience,” said Dr. Shoukat Ali Memon. We were able to discharge her eight days after the incident occurred with a detailed treatment plan. We are of course continuing to treat the baby on an ongoing basis until her burn wounds are fully healed.”

The jug of hot tea was placed on a low table at the baby’s home. The baby’s mother went to get tea cups from the kitchen and on return found that the baby had accidentally knocked the jug over herself.

Dr. Ahmed Mohamed Samy Ghallab, Specialist Emergency Medicine added, “Accidents such as these serve as a reminder as to just how easy incidents can occur around the home. We would like to take this opportunity to remind parents to be extra cautious with little ones around the house, and to keep potentially dangerous items far out of a child’s reach – it only takes a split second for such awful accidents to occur.”

Pradeep Kumar, the baby’s father commented: “We are very grateful to the doctors and team at Zulekha Hospital, who reassured us on our little girl’s recovery after these severe burns she has suffered. It is very difficult for us to see our child suffer with this accident, however we are happy that we came to Zulekha Hospital at the right time.

“We are confident our child will be fine soon – our past experiences with the hospital also have been very satisfying as the team is very responsive,” he concluded.